Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Literature: It’s All About Passionate Living

When people asked me why I took up AB Literature as a program in college, I would always be reminded by one of my mentors who told me that, “We need literature to remind us that we are humans. We need literature to remind us of the more important part of our existence, that is, our soul. When all material things are destroyed, including our body, our soul will endure. Our soul is the vessel of our memory. For who are we without our memories? In the end, it is this vessel of memory that will be presented to God, our Creator, our Ultimate Goal.” Now, these words seem philosophical, but, being passionate about life, about the course we decide to take up in college, we will realize that, indeed, what my teacher said is true. And I would sound so discouraging if I tell you that Literature is not so much about earning a lot of money, but it is about living a passionate life.

On my part, I have never really thought about taking up AB Lit. For one thing, the program is actually not every student’s first choice. You see, I took three different courses in college—from Architecture to Fine Arts to Communication Arts—before I ended up shifting to AB Lit. And I also discovered that most of my classmates were also “rejects” from the more difficult colleges like Nursing, Education, and others. We thought that the program is less difficult than solving math problems or memorizing the anatomy of the human body. No. AB Lit is more than that, I tell you. And despite the wayward and cathartic journey, even once, I never regretted enrolling to AB Literature. It has been the most exciting and the most challenging part of my life yet. The learnings, the lessons, and the experiences I gained from the program have been deeply etched in my heart and soul…

1 comment:

  1. It's still sad to know that Literature is the second, third or last option for the majority of students.

    I think behind this is a practical reason: it doesn't really guarantee one a decent paying job after college.

    In this country, pursuing any form of art as an occupation frequently equates to a life of meager wages and of sudden, turbulent outbursts brought about or shaped by creativity. Now who, in his rational mind, would want to pursue that?

    ReplyDelete